From:
Rick Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 12:06:18 -0500
> If you have an old Pentium 100 or slower system, then this should be a
> concern. BUT.... For modern systems, you will not notice very much
> difference at all. There will be slight hesitation of 2-4 seconds when
> initializing the modem and dialing or when disconnecting, but that will be
> all.

I am afraid this is just not the case, as I am involved in tech support for an
ISP, the root of most "I can't connect.." problems is: winmodems. They
swap it out for a true hardware based modem and they get stable
connections at better rates, especially when were talking V.90 or KFlex
connections.

Rather than save the paltry few bucks put the processing power back where
it belongs in the modem. I wish the engineers at Rockwell had never
devised RPI etc..

Rick Christian