From:
Milt deReyna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:57:58 -0500
I have recently done the same thing, so I will give you a listing of what I
put together, maybe that'll help.  Simply,
the form factor for the motherboard, case, and power supply must match up,
and the cpu you select must match
the cpu socket on the motherboard.  Here's my list from newegg:

VGA BIOSTAR 7300LE V7302EL26 R - Retail  256MB DDR2 video card
KB LOGITECH|967740-0403 INRNT 350 % - OEM  Logitech keyboard
MNTR HANNSG|19" 5MS DVI JW-199DPB R - Retail  Hanns-G 19" LCD Monitor
CASE ROSEWILL|R5601-BK RT - Retail  Rosewill Steel Computer Case w/2 case
fans ATX mid-tower
PSU XCLIO|XCLIO 450BL 450W RT - Retail  XCLIO 450 Watt power supply ATX -
AMD/Intel compatible
CPU AMD|A64 3700+ 2.2G 939 1M R - Retail  AMD Athlon 3700+ San Diego core,
socket 939, 1MB cache
FDD 1.44MB NEC|FD1231H-302 OEM BLK - OEM  NEC 1.44MB Floppy Drive
LINK DEPOT 18" ATA133 CABLE GREEN - Retail  Round IDE Cables (2)
BIOSTAR GEFORCE T6100-939 uATX AMD Motherboard - Retail  Biostar mobo socket
939, micro-ATX w/nvidia onboard video
GIGABYTE GH-ED821-LC 94 mm Ball CPU Cooler - Retail  Retail version of cpu
comes w/ factory cpu cooler, but I wanted
a better fan, and of course you'll need whatever mouse you want.
LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model
GSAH22N-BK - OEM
Don't waste money on a cd burner, the dvd burners will also burn cd's.  I
bought 2 of these LG dvd burners from newegg for 30 bucks each.

That's my system, but you may need a different set-up, as I'm not a gamer.
Some of the gamer video cards are fantastically expensive, so that's
a decision you have to make and live with.  As for putting the right things
together, just Google building a PC, and you'll come up with all kinds of
sites that will give you a basic guide.  Good Luck.

Milt deReyna