From:
Terry Boerner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:41:06 -0500
I hope this won't get long winded but here goes.  To make a long story short my sons PC in college was experiencing some hang-ups while on the internet.  He ran Ad-aware and then got nothing but white pages (couldn't find site..etc).  He took it to UWM Tech support and they couldn't figure it out. (Trying modem, LAN, IE and netscape).  So now I have his PC and tried to access the internet through Roadrunner.  Installed the software and it bombed out saying it could not connect to the modem.  Ran diagnostics and failed loopback.  (BTW when pressing on the NIC, the PC would reboot) So I purchased a new NIC, installed it in a different PCI and the same thing. NADA.  The only difference from the new card to the old is that on the old card the LNK light stayed lit and the modem activity light was constant.  The new card, the LNK blinks slow and erratic and the modem ACT light follows that same pattern.  I upgraded to ME during all of this (a no-no) which I'll uninstall.  The PC is DELL 500mhz, upgraded to ME.  I also had I hard time installing the new NIC.  Wiped out all the old drivers, Shut down the PC, uninstalled the old NIC, powered up and installed drivers with included CD, powered down--installed new NIC, powered on to finish installation.  Noticed exclamation mark under device manager.  The error msg: "The NDIS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD device loaders for this device could not load the device drivers. (Code 2)  Both NIC's were D-Link DFE-530tx.  I sure appreciate any advice.  Maybe a complete reformat, reinstalling WIN98?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml