From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 23:01:49 -0500
Interestingly, I talked with a Microsoft representative about just this
issue the other afternoon.  My dilema is taking a used system in trade that
has an operating system installed, but no installation disks included with
the system.  If I legally want to sell that system, it seems to me that I
have to either format the HDD, or purchase and install an operating system.
My question to them was, can I legitimately install the OEM version of Win95
on a system that is not new, or even a complete upgrade?  The MS tech told
me that the requirements to sell the OEM version is either a new hard drive
(for which a fully formated used hard drive counted) or a new Motherboard.

However, I did not think to ask if it was still legitimate if I did not do
the installation of the software....In the event that MS does not care who
installs the software (what about rebuilding your own system after a crash),
it seems that you could purchase that version of OSR2 along with the new
HDD.

Mike Buraczewski