From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:53:37 -0500
I believe that is normal. What is happening is that your Recycle Bin is
getting the file you "delete", so your file isn't really gone. Therefore
when you delete a 100MB file it gets placed in the recycle bin (which in
actuality is just a different directory on your drive) and will remain there
a while, which results in your lack of gaining that space back.

As for "deleting a 20MB file and getting back 100MB" this is similar, what
is happening is your recycle bin is almost full, and can't hold the 20MB
file, so what windows does is remove the 100MB file that you deleted before
and move the 20MB file there.

Perosnally I turn off the Recycle bin, it's just an annoyance, it muddles
the waters to much, when I delete something I want it gone! Of course this
means you have to be sure when you delete something that it should be
deleted, but I believe this is how the delete process should ALWAYS be
treated! :) TTYL

> Hi all,
>  I am encountering a very strange problem. I have WinXP pro
> installed on a 667MHz PIII with 128 MB RAM and 10GB hdd.
> Recently, the OS has been showing the free disk space wrong.
> Let's say I have 100MB free on a disk and I delete a 200MB file,
> the free space is still 100MB (this doesn't happen all the time
> though. I have tried restarting the system but to no use. Also,
> sometimes, when I delete a file, the amount of free space
> increases by an amount greater than the file size. For example,
> if I delete 20 MB, the free disk space increases by 100MB.
>
>  I don't think this is a virus or something as I've got Norton AV
> 2002 installed. Anyway, if you do think it is a virus that somehow
> found its way inside, then do let me know.
>
>  Please send me a solution to this problem. By the way, one of
> my friends has exactly same configuration and he too has got
> the same problem.

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com