From:
"L. Hooper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:44:52 -0600
Dave Perry wrote:
> I'm about to upgrade a computer for a friend and I intend retaining the
> sound card and modem from his old computer.
> My questions concern the sound card and modem. Both these components would
> have been installed in the computer in about 1994. The sound card is of the
> proprietry variety in that the cdrom connects to it. The modem is an
> Dynalink 14.4.
> What kind of probs might I encounter when I put these components onto the
> new motherboard?

Dave, I recently built a new computer and used my old Reveal sound card
and it's 2x cd-rom. Installation was no problem. The ms-dos drivers
loaded from install floppies ok, but I had to transfer my win95 drivers
an install them manually, just like I had to do when I upgraded to win95
long ago. You might be wise to write down all your sound card and modem
settings from the old computer in case of problems. If you have a floppy
with drivers/install program for the modem, it should go smoothly. If
not, copy drivers from old computer and install in new one.

> I am also transferring the hard drive, which is a reasonably new Seagate,
> over to the new motherboard. The hard drive has win95b on it. What
> procedures should I follow before removing it from the old system??

Boot the old computer into safe mode, go to start/settings/control
panel/system, select the device manager tab. Remove everything from
device manager. Windows will need to find all the new hardware and
configure itself. Hook up the drive in the new computer, and boot-up
and get ready to start loading drivers. Have win95 install disc and
install disks for all hardware at hand.
  Beware; the old computer may have required Ontrack disk overlay for
  the bios to see the newer hard drive, (you didn't say what size hard
  drive it is, and many older bioses could not see over 520 Mb hdd).
  If it has a disk overlay, use the seagate/ontrack software to remove
  it. Shut down and boot from the seagate/ontrack floppy to do this.
  If no ontrack floppy, the overlay can be removed with fdisk;
  Shut down. Boot with a bootable floppy with fdisk.exe on it. From the
  a: prompt type "fdisk /mbr"...this will replace the master boot record,
  (which was modified by ontrack) to a standard ms-dos mbr.
Good luck.
Larry

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com