From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 23:10:23 -0400
At 10:47 PM 5/10/00 -0400, I wrote:
>Hello all.
>
>I have a strange problem with one of my lab computers.  If running in DOS
>mode, it will beep 3 times and shut down.  Fans still run, but no leds, and
>the monitor shuts off (green LED changes to orange).  Running in Windows
>mode seems to be fine.  The shut down occurs after 10 minutes or less.  I
>think this has only happened in DOS mode, whether booting directly to DOS,
>from a floppy, or restarting in DOS mode.

Never got a response on my initial request, so some may be interested in
how this one was resolved.  Or no-one cares :)

Well, tonight I was able to spend some time making one change at a time,
eliminating possibilities.  Each time I booted to DOS, it would go 20
seconds or less, beep 3 times and shut down.

By the time I got the the power management settings in CMOS setup, I was
really convinced there was a timer at work here.  The shutdowns would occur
at 15-20 seconds after getting a c: prompt.  Sure enough, power management
was set for maximum power savings, and controlled by APM.  Disabled power
management, and the problem went away.  I set power management settings the
same way in another, almost identical system, and the problem showed up there.

J. Paul Jones
http://www.mindspring.com/~jpjcet/

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org