From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:35:46 -0800
1.  The networking stuff in XP has a way to generate an update diskette for
    older systems, especially 98, to bring them up to where they can talk
    to XP.  I don't see where you've run that, so I suspect you haven't.

2.  XP seems to like, by default, to enable "Simple File Sharing".  I don't
    know what's so simple about it; a crucial step in getting it to play
    nice with anything else is to turn this "feature" OFF.

3.  Although installing NetBEUI might appear to solve the immediate problem,
    I suspect it will just paper over deeper issues that will come back to
    haunt you later.  I recommend that you get TCP/IP working instead.

4.  Oh yeah -- XP comes with a firewall that seems to be lax in some areas,
    and draconian in others.  While I recommend a well-configured firewall
    to anyone going on line, it shouldn't necessarily be the one Microsoft
    gives you -- and making sure that one is turned off may be helpful in
    this case.

David Gillett