From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:12:52 -0400
At 11:00 08/26/07, alan smith wrote:
>I have set up a second computer especially for a file recovery
>program, but
>   when I attach a second drive, either as a slave or cable select,
> the disk
>   management might see it, but it doesn't show in "my computer " I've
> checked
>   the bios and set it for 2 drives, but still no go!! My OS is
> Win2KPro, SP4
>   and 60 updates.
>   Does anyone have suggestions please ??  Thank you,  AL SMITH

Hi Al

If the drive is visible in Disk Management but not in My Computer,
it's probably because the drive has not been partitioned and/or
formatted...at least as far as Win2K can tell. You can do these
things using Disk Management. Does Disk Management show the drive
has been partitioned and that it has a FAT32 or NTFS file system?

If you are sure that the drive was partitioned and contains data
that you need, maybe the drive's geometry has been erroneously
detected by the motherboard's disk controller, or maybe the
drive's Master Boot Record or partition table has been corrupted.

Another possibility is that the drive's drive letter(s) are being]
hidden from My Computer. If you have TweakUI (the Win2k version),
go to Control Panel and open TweakUI. Choose TweakUI's My Computer
tab and see if any drive letters have check marks.

See also "Using Group Policy Objects to hide specified drives" at
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231289/en-us>.

Regards,
Bill