From:
John O Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:35:55 -0400
Are you trying to use this drive as a master WITH a slave drive attached
as well, or a master by itself with no slave?

Many drive brands, WD in particular, actually require a different jumper
setting (usually NO jumper over the master or slave pins) to operate by
themselves (without a slave drive on the same channel).  If you're trying
to use the drive by itself, try having no jumpers on the master/slave pins.

-JOWj.

"The Pledge of Allegiance says, 'With liberty and justice for ALL.'  What
part of ALL do you not understand?" - Rep. Pat Schroder.

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Bruce Boschek wrote:

> Howdy,
> Sorry for the weird subject :-). I have a WD Caviar 2420 on a 486 that is
> used only for simple word processing. After a boot-virus infection and
> removal with Sophos Sweep, the drive is no longer recognized by the bios
> (auto detect does not work and if I manually put in drive parameters the
> bios reports HD failure), BUT the drive works fine as a slave. Yes, I do
> move the jumper from Slave to Master...

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html