Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 09:08:57 -0600
Hi Margaret,

I don't have much experience setting up wireless networks but I have some
thoughts you may find helpful. I would first evaluate how much any obstacles
(the trees) interfere with a direct line of sight between the two locations
and how to reduce or eliminate them. Would trimming the trees reduce the
interference? Is it feasible to cut the trees? Consider the construction of
the trailer and your son's house. Could the computers in both locations be
moved to a better location? Getting as close as possible to a direct line of
sight between the two points is the objective.

Secondly, focus on the signal strength and range. As has been pointed out by
several responses, most Wi-Fi access points use omnidirectional antennas.
What you want is a more precise antenna that will focus the signal in the
way that a flashlight's reflector concentrates it's illumination. Commercial
antennas of this type tend to be expensive. I have included a list of links
below for more information in general, but the first two focus on building
an antenna, a "do it yourself" way of solving the distance problem. I have
not built one but both articles appear to be thorough, the methods sound,
and may be a possible solution.

Wi-Fi USB adaptors & DIY antenna:
http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

How to build a tin can waveguide antenna:
http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Improving WiFi Range (TechNews.com):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A28715-2004May15.html

WIFI Range Problems - Forum:
http://www.wi-fitechnology.com/viewthread216.html

Can The WiFi Range of a Wireless Laptop be Increased?:
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/wifilaptoprange.htm

WiFi distance record - Google Search:
http://tinyurl.com/nwa4f

I would be interested in your progress and results on this project. If you
don't report your results to the list, please write me directly.

Sven Swanson, Sr.