From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:19:16 -0600
> >Could the disk be fragmented?
> >If the disk is fragmented then how can I go about defragmenting it?
> >Is there a program to do this in Windows 95 or is there one I can purchase?
> >Would it be better to just get a larger disk and transfer everything onto it?
> >It would be defragmented then. (smile)
> >
>  Actually, I believe not. If you xcopy the files to the new disk,
> I think they will "arrive" as fragmented as they began.  But, of
I beg to differ on this point.  Defragmentation happens because data is
written to the drive in the order it is recieved, other wise, the disk
would be constantly reordered to keep data and program files cohesive.
If you copy everything onto another (that is defragmented BEFORE the
copy operation begins), then all of the files will be copied as cohesive
units with 0 initial fragmentation.  The amount of fragmentation on the
source drive has nothing to do with how files will be written on the
target drive.

The only reason that any copied files should be fragmented on the target
drive is if the target drive is not defragmented before you start
copying.  How many files will be defragmented and how much would be
determined by the level of fragmentation on the target drive.

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639