From:
Jim Prettyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 06:35:37 -0500
Dave Gillett,
The incredible force thing was the answer. I finally tried it in a old
motherboard
that was of no matter and with about triple the force of normal it did seat
and
work ok. I plan to mike the thickness of the new memory stick as I believe
it is
several thousandths over the normal. The slots were what I refer to as
"standard".
Thanks for your interest and reply
Jim

At 02:41 PM 12/29/01 -0800, you wrote:
>On 29 Dec 2001, at 6:51, Jim Prettyman wrote:
>
>>  A newly purchased stick of memory does not seat in older socket 7
>> and slot 1 motherboard. It will fit in the newer models. Are the
>> memory slots different on the older boards or is the new memory a
>> bit thicker? Has anyone ran into this problem? The stick that I am
>> replacing and the new stick look exactly the same.
>> Jim
>
>  You see those two notches on the lower (contact) side of the stick?
>
>  One of them can be in either of two positions, and the other in any
>of three.  (The difference bertween the positions is about half the
>width of the notch, so you might not notice this difference.)
>
>  I don't recall exactly what each position signifies, but I believe
>one selects between 3.3v and 5v and the other has to do with whether
>the RAm is registered/buffered/etc.
>  The details aren't really important -- the important point is that
>memory sticks and their sockets are keyed to prevent your inserting
>an incompatible (in some spoecific ways) stick of RAM into a
>motherboard.
>
>  I *have* encountered 168-pin sockets that just needed an incredible
>amount of force to insert the stick, but before I'd resort to such
>force, I'd make absolutely certain that the notches line up
>precisely....
>
>Dave Gillett
>
>        The NOSPIN Group provides a monthly newsletter with great
>       tips, information and ideas: NOSPIN-L, The NOSPIN Magazine
>           Visit our web site to signup: http://freepctech.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml