From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 10:34:10 -0700
There are several possibilities here. First would be your virus hypothesis.
Second would be someone using a program like Microsoft Virtual PC to run a
second OS on their computer and using a fixed IP address for it that
conflicts with the RRAS server. A third idea would be someone trying to
break into your network from the outside using IP spoofing. In any case, a
packet sniffer running on the RRAS server (if it can handle the additional
load) would be very helpful in finding out which one of these three ideas is
likely, or if something beyond these three is occuring. It also wouldn't
hurt to scan each and every node on your network for viruses and spyware.

Kenneth Whyman
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Frederick Navarro <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I did some digging in our win2k RRAS server re: abrupt disconnection of
> internet access, and some found some info.  the event viewer states that
> another device has a conflict of ip address with our server and might cause
> network operation problems .  FYI, our server has 2 ip address, 10.x.x.x
> provided by the university web admin, and 192.x.x.x for our local LAN
> connection.  The event viewer has pointed out that the conflict came from
> 192.x.x.x series, which if I am correct a connection within our department
> using this segment.
>
> The event viewer also pointed out the MAC address of the device which
> caused
> the conflict, and using a freeware ip address and MAC address scanner, this
> made me nuts because the said MAC address is not listed for the entire
> 192.x.x.x segment.  So my next possible suspect is...... could a VIRUS do
> this? wherein it could get a MAC address?  Thanks guys....
>

> Frederick
>
>        The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>           web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>              Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com