From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:30:47 EDT
     We are trying to install a Compaq Presario as a workstation in a Win95
network utilizing a 10 meg ethernet hub and a KTI 32bit PCI network interface
card and cat. 5 cabling.  It appears that the network card, the card drivers,
the NetBUI protocol and the Client for Microsoft Network software are
correctly installed and configured although we had to download and install a
proprietary Compaq ROM-BIOS upgrade to accomplish the taks.  When one properly
"logs-in" to the workstation, it is recognized by the other workstations on
the network and it can browse the network.
     However, the process to accomplish the "log-in" is not satisfactory.
When one starts the workstation, it completes the boot and goes directly to
the desktop without presenting the Win95 UserName / Password screen.
Consequently, to gain access to network resources, one must go to start menu /
shut down / close all programs and log-in as another user.
     We made the customarily useless inquiry to Compaq tech support.  First,
they advised us to confirm that the Client for MicroSoft Networks was loaded
and was designated the primary log-in and this we accomplished to no avail.
Next, they suggested that we delete or rename all the *.pwl password files and
reboot.   Likewise, this did not appear to effect the process.  Lastly, they
declared it a network problem and offered to provide support for an additional
fee.  The effort was not worth the fee already buitl-in to the price of the
hardware.
     Does anyone on the list know a way to require that the Win95 UserName /
Password screen appear each time that the computer startsup?
Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                                  -----