From:
Roger Griffiths <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 16:00:04 +1200
Hi,

I have a machine that will connect to the national carriers ISP, but refuses to browse the Internet or retrieve mail. It has done so before, but the client says it has just stopped working.

I looked at the settings and found that a previous connection had been set up to another ISP using a CD that configures all the settings for the user. It appears that a proxy server had been set up for the other ISP. I disabled this feature as it is not required, but it continued to look for the proxy.

Having exhausted all possibilities under LAN and Settings in the connection tab. I opted to remove the dial up adapter and reinstall it. Then I upgrade to I.E. 5.1, still nothing would work.

On the last attempt I went into registry and removed proxy settings that still existed for the old ISP that seemed to indicate an association. I removed all entries of Netscape that must have been on the PC before and Neoplanet. Then uninstalled all versions of I.E. till I got back to I.E. 4.0. Even with just this browser installed it will not access the Internet, stating that it could not find the server.

Uninstalling Windows is not an option for this person, so if anyone can offer a fix for this issue, I'd appreciate it. This machine is running Windows '95b.

Have tried ping and it does send, which is more than I can say with the browser.

Thanks in advance,

Regards Roger.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html