From:
Venkat Viswanathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:56:09 -0500
DATE:-Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:40:34 -0500

David Gillette and my post (mixed in):-

<<<< <<<> (6)ADSL modem connected to 2 port usb adapter card in a pci slot

  Okay.  I'm not a fan of USB-connected DSl modems -- you can get a USB
ethernet connector if necessary -- but so far as I know they do/can work.>>>

yes the USB connected ADSL modem works well in another system with win 98se>>>

<<<<<<< What if you just ping them?

  Can you run "ipconfig /all >foo.txt" and then paste the foo.txt file
contents into an email back here?  That might offer us a clue.>>>

well, as of the moment i took out both the USB adapter/win bond adapter and after a lot of trials got the system to boot only yesterday.( with both these present in the PCI slots the system simply will not boot.)

I left it overnight to see if it froze but no, it is ok. so now I will have to see a way to install the modem and see how it goes.>>>>

the latest position:--

(1) the system (my friends) boots without the winbond ethernet adapter and the 2 port usb adapter and does not freeze.

(2) I installed ONLY the 2 port usb adapter in the pci slot, the system booted, and i got a msg window from win xp pro :-

<<< you are trying to install software for " OPTi 82C861 PCI to usb open host controller this has not passed windows logo testing and if you continue with the installation the system may not work properly and you may have problems.pl contact the vendor or see about windows logo testng.( continue or cancel installation )>>>>  when i continued the system froze.

the usb adapter has a chipset "OPTi 82C861 Firelink"

so i searched and got to the OPTi site and found that this adapter supports only upto win 9x.

now my question:--

i have seen the same adapter installed in the system and connected to a ROUTER  through a usb plug and the ROUTER is connected to an ISP at my friends place. this way they were able to get internet connection but the problem was the system tended to freeze after sometime ( no specific time frame, sort of random)

how come win xp(pro) accepts the usb adapter when connected to a router and rejects when i boot up with the adapter but without the router??

my intention was to boot the system with the usb adapter, connect my usb ADSL modem (after configuring/installing drivers for the modem )and get connected to the internet. it just is not happening or win xp is not letting it happen.

any input (including whether there is any usb adapter which will support win xp pro.) will be very gratefully accepted .

regards to all and good day----Venkat

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml