From:
Rick Poepping <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 22:24:22 -0600
Herbert Graf wrote:

> > I'm getting ready to do various upgrades to my 586-p133 and I would like
> > to know the relation of Cache and RAM.  Specifically, how much RAM can
> > 512K cache?  And what benefits and pitfalls are there to going beyond
>
>         Depends on the chipset, for Intel's TX and VX 512K will cache 64Megs, with
> the HX if you have the extra TAG SRAM you can cache up to 512Megs (wow!)

If you add the extra TAG SRAM are you adding extra cache?  Or are these 2 different
things?  If they are different, are you saying that 512K L2 cache can cache different
amounts of RAM based on how much TAG SRAM there is (ignoring the chipset limitation
for discussion purposes)?  How much RAM can 256K of L2 cache?  Is it the same type of
answer?

Rick Poepping