From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:03:27 -0400
In a recent post, I mentioned how a GFI will do almost no good
in protecting a Computer.  (That is what I tried to say.)
They burn up easy when lightning hits anywhere around, but
that same strike will "fry" almost anything in the house so I can't
call that "protection".

GFIs are slightly prone to "nuisance" tripping at the slightest
provocation. Now this is a good thing if YOU happen to be where
the electricity is going instead of where it should...

GFIs work by comparing the currents in the two "legs" of the
circuit. They have ground connections, but don't use them
for their own purposes. For around the last ten years they were
LEGAL to install with the ground TOTALLY Missing.
(You MUST attach one if one exists, or can be reasonably reached.)

I'm bringing this up here on the list for two reasons.
1. The ground could be missing and it will meet "code".
So you do not have most of the protection you are paying
for with other devices. (With no ground, they are crippled.)
The good news is that some (not all) good "protection"
equipment will test for, and warn you of this fact.
2. It could trip for no "real" reason and knock off a computer
very unexpectedly at what is "always" a very bad time...
There are certain times in "computing" when you positively
CAN NOT loose power... No ifs, ands, or buts...

My opinion about putting computers on a GFI protected
circuit is about the same as putting a refrigerator or
freezer on one.  In some cases, a good ground is all you
need.  (For the refrigerator or freezer.)

GFIs are great when used for their intended purpose
(protecting people) but like anything else, it can be carried
too far and cause more trouble than it is worth when used
in "the wrong" place...

Just for the record: I have surge protectors. (AC and phone
lines) After that I have UPSs.  I even have independent
emergency lighting.  (Like in a restaurant.)
My problems dropped about 75% when I started the above.
It cleaned up my power, and showed me how REALLY dirty
it was.  I had them re-wire the transformer on my street because
the UPS was triggering around 50 times a day...

Electricity is dangerous. Be careful.   Rick Glazier