From:
Kevin Staggers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 18:54:31 -0500
Hi all,

I have been having this problem for about 2 months now, and nothing I've
tried has helped.  On startup, the disk chruns for a good 2 minutes
before the system settles down.  THe system is completely unusable when
it's doing this too.  I've taken to running system monitor at startup so
I can see what's happening, and it shows that right after the machine
starts, the Kernal: Processor Usage shoots up to 100% and stays there
until the disk stops churning.  Other things I've noticed that happen at
the same time: The Memory Manager does a lot of Page-Ins, and also has a
lot of Page Faults, the numbers corresponding almost exactly.  (i/e/,
it'll page in say 32, and at the exact same time cycle, will have 31 -
32 page faults.)  These also stop once the disk stops churning.  There's
also a lot of dirty data showing up during this time period.  I've tried
everything, I've tried taking everything out of my startup group and
starting like that, and it still happens.  I've even gone and changed my
virtual memory to a fixed size to try to prevent the churn when it gets
resized.  That didn't help.

I'm also starting to experience periods of disk churn like the startup
ones at random times while I'm using the computer.  This is getting more
than just annoying, it's getting to the point where my system is almost
unusable.  I'm about ready to give up and reformat and start over, but
hate to do that, since everything's running smoothly except for this,
and I have tons of programs I'd have to reinstall and setup.  Here's
some specs on the system:

Pentium 75mhz
24mb RAM
Drive C: 1.2gb, formatted in FAT16.  (Swap file is on this disk)
Drive D: 3.2gb, formatted in FAT32.
Swap File Size: 100mb

I'm not sure what else to tell, that seems to cover the basics, feel fre
to ask me anything else about the system.  Does anyone have any idea
what's causing this and what I can do to fix it?  It seems to be getting
progressively worse.  Help!! :)

Thanks in Advance,

Kevin