From:
bobwarasila <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:50:40 -0500
> Reseed all devices? What happens?
>
> Disconnect all devices except video card. Reboot? What happens?
>
> Try a new video card?
>

> Try a Ubuntu bootable cd? What happens?

I reseated everything and tried with the video card out.  The P4P800 has
integrated sound and video so I removed all boards + the burner and CD-Rom.
Still no POST sounds or video.  I removed the front panel and discovered
there is no onboard speaker in this box so I plugged in a speaker, still no
POST sounds although I could hear some initial noise on the speaker as the
computer powered up and again when it went down.  Last clue is that the
CD-ROM light blinks when connected BUT when the CD-ROM and burner are
unplugged the HD access light does not light.  I'm  guessing maybe the boot
sequence in the CMOS is stalling with the CD-ROM at some point?  But I
thought the POST happened before anything else happened so it's looking to
me as if  something is wrong on the MB.  BTW someone tested the video card
for me on another computer and that worked OK.  Perhaps I should just buy a
replacement P4 MB since they're pretty cheap and go from there.

I have a LINUX Knoppix disk so I tried that in the CD-ROM no luck:^(

Bob Warasila

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml