Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2000 22:20:23 +1100
I believe I know the patch you were talking about, it doesn't work as well
as you think. The reason to ACPI power management problem is not only at MS
side, but also the hardware driver which provided by other parties. (To be
fair to MS, MS cannot take care of all hardware drivers.)

The most ACPI problems I've found come from bad written drivers. especially
the video driver, it is response for most (99.9% if not 100%) monitor power
saving related problems and standby but can't wake up problem. Please note
that not all drivers develop teams know how to their job properly, well, I
should say most of them don't know how to do their job. I even doubt they
ever test their drivers before ship out to customer. You won't believe how
much times I've wasted on driver related problems. So if you ask me, I can
only tell you that "Disable those power saving", they do "not" work.

The most common mistake when "people" say a driver is working is that "it
boots into windows". I guess this is exactly what most Driver develop teams
are doing, "boot into windows" = job done.

I do not mean offensive to any of programmers, but I really really hope
there are more programmers like what nVidia, Intel ... (there are few
others) employed, not like what Aopen, MS, S3, Matrox (the list goes on and
on)... employed.

One thing I've found that I can't believe myself is that ALL Linux
programmers are better than Windows programmers.

Jun Qian

PS: To avoid data loss and other possible "extra" problems, I don't enable
Power saving myself (only turn off monitor after 30min, turn off HDD after
1hr), even I know (tested) my machine has no problem with it.