From:
Kerry Paulson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 03:22:14 -0600
Carlos: I have a FIC 2013 with a Riva TNT (Diamond viper 550 AGP)  My
system was extremely unstable with the drivers that ship with the
motherboard.  I replaced them with the newest drivers from the FIC site
(www.fic.com.tw) and my system has been running smoothly for over a
month now.  I play Quake II & halflife all the time & have never seen a
crash since I updated the drivers.   Try installing the AGP driver in
non-turbo mode (not sure if this helped, but I haven't noticed a lack of
performance that would make me want to check).

  I have a K6-2 333 which runs at a 95 MHz bus speed, so I don't think
this is the problem (unless the new drivers fixed it).

  You may also want to check that the card itself is not bad.  I had a
STB velocity 128 that worked fine in 2D, but crashed in anything that
required 3D acceleration.  I had the card replaced and that fixed the
problem.

  You should also make sure that the card is assigned an IRQ.  There may
be an option in your BIOS, and you should check for resource conflicts.

Kerry

Rick Swartz wrote:

> Sunday, December 06, 1998 7:46 PM Carlos Cordeiro asked:
> >I have a Riva TNT graphics card on a FIC mobo and win98 installed and it
> works fine,
> >but if i chose to run any game that came in the package, it crashes the
> computer.
> >Can anybody help me with this problem ?
>
> Carlos, If you're running your bus at 100 MHz I may be able to tell you why,
> but I'm sorry to say there isn't a solution yet. The RIVA TNT has big
> problems running at 100 MHz Bus speeds on the Alladin V and MVP3 Chipsets
> under Windows 98, when using 3-D intense games. This seems to apply to all
> cards with the TNT chipset. Aparently the problem is being worked on, but I
> suppose it's wait it out, or run your bus at 66 MHz. I can give you a follow
> up when I know more.
>
> Rick Swartz ([log in to unmask])
> http://www.uuhome.de/richard.swartz
> PC-Support  Emission-Monitoring (Air)
> BASF
>
>             PCBUILD maintains many useful files for download
>               on our web site - visit our download page at:
>                      http://nospin.com/pc/files.html

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>