From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:10:19 -0700
At 11:11 PM 2/10/99 , Tom Sykora wrote:
>After exchanging a bad hard drive, getting a new floppy, and jumping other
>hurdles, I thought I was out of the woods with my inherited pentium 233 II.
>
>The machine frequently locks up now, and control alt delete has no affect,
>except to eventually reboot the machine.  I lose the mouse, and have to
>reboot.  I ran Nuts & Bolts complete battery of diagnostics, and got no
>errors in any of the tests of memory or hard drive.  I am out of my depth
>now...... What should I check next?
>
>P.S. When I check performance for memory, Win 95 typically shows 70 to 80%
>of my 64megs before a freeze up.

This sounds like an IRQ conflict in Win95, though it could be something
else.   Go to Start/Settings/control panel/system/device manager   then
double click on the COMPUTER on the top of the list and verify that two
devices are not using the same IRQ.   (Do not count the "RQ Holder for
PCI Steering").     If the mouse is the issue, look for a device that is
using the same IRQ as the mouse, often it is the modem.   This is typical
of a system with quite a few devices, such as: modem, mouse, sound card,
network card, SCSI card and more....

You can try reassigning IRQs for conflicting devices...   usually this will work.
If it is too complicated, try reinstalling Win95..  sometimes this will sort it out.

   Bob
The NOSPIN Group