From:
Bill Kapelas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:32:30 -0400
Interesting! I have similar occurances with a scrolling mouse. But I
don't use FP. My problems occured in netscape. And it seems the
pointer is in the same state and position you mention.

I don't get a real GPF. I just lock - mouse and keyboard. I beleve its
the video card which can't handle the custom pointer. Heres why:

Last year or two I bought a Hercules Thriller 4meg card. Nothing
unusual. I had a standard mouse at the time. But I started geting
lockups like these. As I am moving the pointer usually near the title
bar.  I saw a FAQ on Hercules site which said lockups would occur if
you are using a custom pointer. So I switched to standard pointer. (in
control panel/mouse/pointer/scheme) And no more problem. Now I have
the problem again with the scrolling mouse when the pointer changes to
scroll.

Whats the video card? Chip?

 On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:17:45 -0700, Robert Humble wrote:

>I have this Logitech wheel mouse.  Very fond of it, it's my second
one.
>Wore out the first.  It's always been a dandy and dependable item.
>
>6 weeks or so ago I acquired and installed Front Page 2000.  It GPFed
every
>so often, causing me to lose material not saved.  Bummer.  I
uninstalled
>it, reinstalled FP98, then reinstalled FP2K, keeping FP98.  FP2K
continued
>to GPF.  FP98 never does.
>
>Finally I figured out what caused the GPFs.  When the cursor is in
the
>Standard or Formatting toolbar area or title area above, or in the
bar at
>the bottom that shows the NUM symbol and the potential download time,
and
>the wheel is moved for purposes of scrolling, the program GPFs.
>
>I wonder what I'm dealing with here.  Mouse problem, FP2k problem, or
as
>seems most likely, a mutual problem of compatability between the two.
>
>Any thoughts?

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html