From:
Chew Yoke Lim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 01:13:43 +0800
I have a 386DX-33 machine running Windows 3.11, and I am quite happy
with it - at least until I have the wherewithal to build myself a
super-duper state-of-the-art computer <g>.

However, there are three shortcomings to it.

The first is that it has a 8250 UART chip and because of repeated
data overruns, it takes the dickens to retrieve e-mail or to load Web
pages (if at all) when I am surfing, although I have a 28.8 Kbps
modem.

The second is that it does not have LBA support.  I have quite some
time ago upgraded to a 1GB hard disk drive, and I had to install
Disk Manager Dynamic Drive Overlay in order to access the whole disk.
I have since learnt from this list that this is not the best thing to
do.  Besides, I now want to upgrade to an even larger hard disk.

The third is that although I have installed a CD-ROM drive, I have
never been able to use it.  The drive letter is displayed in File
Manager but it always reports the drive as not being ready even when
a CD is already in the drive.  I have come to the conclusion that the
problem is because I have an IDE I/O card, while a CD-ROM drive needs
an Extended (E)IDE card.  I would appreciate any confirmation that my
conclusion is correct.

From leads gleaned from this list, I reckoned that the solution to
these shortcomings would be found in installing one of the following:

1.  DTC EIDE Ultima Pro (ISA)  http://www.datatechnology.com/
2.  Promise EIDE Pro (ISA)  http://www.promise.com/

or something similar.

Questions:

1.  Am I right in my reckoning?
2.  As money is short, can anyone recommend something similar to
either of the two cards but cheaper?  Please remember that because of
the exchange rate (US$1=M$4), it will cost me four times as much in
utility terms as one earning US$.
3.  If there are no other similar cards as good, can someone check
how cheaply I can get the cheaper of them at, including delivery to
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia?  How about if delivery is to Portland, Maine,
USA?  Will there be any saving on delivery charges if I buy two
pieces?  (Actually, I tell a lie when I said I had a 386DX-33; I also
have a 486DX-33, but it has the same shortcomings as the 386DX-33.)
I have not really been able to check the prices because I can never
get Web pages loaded fast enough or completely each time.
4.  Is it more expensive to buy through mail order?  If so, is any
list member willing to help by buying them for me and shipping them
out to me, either to Malaysia or to Maine (obviously after I have
sent the money)?

Thanks for any information and help.

Yoke Lim.