Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:14:15 -0800
Mark Rode wrote:
> I have a old UMAX SCSI scanner circa 1996
> I do scan an occasional color print, but mostly I use it for color copies
> or to make a pdf document.
>It doesn't support legal size, and there are no 2K XP drivers.

I used to own one of those myself. Unfortunately, even when there were
current drivers, tech support at Umax was vary unhelpful. I switched to
Epson and find their products to be very good and the scan software allows
me to scan in various modes from making a copy, adding a scan to Email or
scanning to Word for corrections and such.

I am not an HP advocate, (I know I'll get flack) for many reasons but I will
stay on topic and not give my personal opinion.

If you require legal size scans then you will have to look for a company
that makes an inexpensive scanner. For the most part in the last three years
of owning mine, I have never had the occasion where I needed to use it for
legal.

> So I am planning on a USB2 scanner.
> Anybody have a specific recommendation or some general information they
think I should consider?

Have you considered the Epson Perfection 2400? It is USB 1&2 compliant.
http://www.epson.com

If you go to the clearance section you will find the scanner for less than
one hundred dollars with free shipping.

When a client is in need of a good middle of the road scanner I will direct
them to Epson. The same for printers. I recommend hardware based on personal
use and satisfaction.

> Why do I need to scan above 1200 dpi?

You don't. I have yet to use 1200dpi resolution. Knowing that the machine
can achieve that resolution is somewhat of a comfort. It tells me that the
quality is built in not added on. If I need it, it is there.

> Is my HP reasoning choice sound?
> "while HP scan quality might not be the best it has always
> been considered very good."

Again it's a matter of choice. What is the bottom line? What is more
important, quality or cost? Can you have both without compromise? <smile>

I think the Epson 2400 will accomplish both.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: