From:
Karl Gottshalk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 17:18:09 -0400
Western Digital has a free download on their website called WDDIAG or
something similar that will check out the drive thoroughly, and will clear
the drive by writing 0's to every sector if you wish. It gives a complete
report of any errors found, as well as how to get it replaced if under
warranty.

Karl Gottshalk

> Sorry for the weird subject :-). I have a WD Caviar 2420 on a 486 that is
> used only for simple word processing. After a boot-virus infection and
> removal with Sophos Sweep, the drive is no longer recognized by the bios
> (auto detect does not work and if I manually put in drive parameters the
> bios reports HD failure), BUT the drive works fine as a slave.
> Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, a cure or a diagnosis? Am
> I forgetting something? Of course, it is not a big loss and I can replace
> the drive, but I would like to know what causes this and if there is a
> cure.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html