Date:
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 18:35:55 -0700
This is a little long:  My daughter decided to "upgrade" her 486DX2-80
American Megatrends computer running Win 3.11 with MSDos 6.22 with more
memory, a faster CPU and a larger hard drive.  The memory upgrade went
ok.  It seems that she did NOT have to go back into CMOS Setup to get
the computer to recognize the increase in memory.  She said she added 32
Meg and she now has 38 Meg.  Anyway - that is okay.

The CPU upgrade didn't work out because the chip she was sold did not
have the removal tool and the instruction book.  So she left that alone
and returned the chip to the store.

Now for the enigma.  She added a 4 Gig HD.  I helped her fdisk and
partition the drive into 4 each 1.05 Meg partitions (1 Dos and 3
extended logical).  Her original drive was 520 Meg.  Her bios accepts
LBA enable so the full 4 gig is seen, even though the largest partition
can only be about 2 gig.  Here is the problem.  After the fdisk, the
system had to be rebooted.  Her old drive was still C:, and the new
drive was D:, E:, F:, and G:.  No problem there.  But her autoexec file
is set up to run windows immediately.  PROBLEM:  Windows won't run
because it says there is not enough conventional memory.  When the DOS
prompt appeared, I told her to issue a MEM command.  It reported 604 KB
total, 503 KB in use, and 101 KB available.

I am trying to troubleshoot this long distance (from Kansas to
Mississippi).  She has no dos utilities on the computer, and she does
not know "Edlin" or similar programs.

Where would be a good place to look to correct this problem?  (By the
way, I have never heard of conventional memory being gobbled up just
because a hard drive is added to an old Win/Dos system.)

Thanks in advance

Jean Bourvic

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**