From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:36:26 -0800
On 27 Mar 98 at 7:36, John D. Penberthy wrote:

> I have a large tower system with several (3) Hard Drives & (2) CD-Roms,
> along with an internal Zip Drive.  As you can imagine I should install a
> second, (actually third fan), towards the top of the case.
>
> Should the fan blow onto the devices, or be directed outward to pull hot air
> away from the devices?

  Since this is at the top of the case, I'd match the direction of
this fan to the one on the power supply.  This is out on AT case,
but in on ATX (you haven't specified which yours is, although
full-tower ATX cases seem to still be rare).
  If your two fans at the top of the case work in different
directions, you effectively create the ventilation equivalent of a
"short circuit", where much of the fresh air being sucked into the
case gets pushed out again before it has a chance to pick up heat.

  With three hard drives, you might want to investigate a "BayCooler"
fan that fits in a 5.25" drive bay.

David G