From:
Rick Lindstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:04:10 -0500
At 04:59 PM 2/26/2003 -0800, TT wrote:
>I did not follow the saying "Leave the well enough
>alone". I recently bought a DELL laptop without the
>56K modem. I bought and installed the modem later
>which never connected faster than 16 kbps. I thought I
>had screwed up something in the modem installation
>process. I went ahead to partition my hard drive as
>one big partition and re-format it. No problem here.
>
>I noticed one thing, when I started the PC with the
>boot floppy in the A:\ drive and selected "Boot with
>CD-ROM drive supported", the boot went alright. I also
>noticed the message "Diagnostic tools were
>successfully loaded to D drive". I also was able to
>switch to drive D. I was not able to run setup from
>Windows XP though. All I saw was pretty much all the
>diagnostic files that I mentioned earlier.
>
>Please HELP me out.
>
>TT

TT-

You cannot run XP setup from a DOS boot floppy. There should be a folder on
the XP disk that has an executable called something like "Makeboot.exe"
that will allow you to make a series of four boot disks that are used to
boot a box for installation of NT/2000/XP.

An easier alternative is just to enter the BIOS on the laptop, and if it is
supported, to set the machine to boot from the CDROM drive. The XP cdrom is
bootable, and the installation goes much faster starting from the CD rather
than using the setup floppies.

HTH-

Rick Lindstrom
Tallahassee, FL. USA