From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:53:29 -0700
Fragmentation:
The other problem with the "Dynamic scheme" is how disk space is
allocated. As you know, the swap file grows and Windows has to find
space for it. If that space isn't close by, Windows will put it where it
wants to even if it means at the end of the hard drive.

The fragmentation process can get out of hand. Have you ever done a
"defrag" and found there were unmovable things? You know, those little
boxes with the red in them? That is your swap file for all it's worth.
Scattered all over you hard drive. Wow, can you imagine how frustrating
that can be? While you have limited resources, Windows is tying up your
system… Not a nice thing to have happen.

All the while this is going on, Windows is placing these little nuggets
where it thinks they should go. Once the swap file becomes fragmented…
Look out. For? Performance. Ever think about why your system took a
dump? Have you ever thought about why when you do a clean install things
run nicely? In some cases the swap file defragmentation may be the
problem. Besides the fact that Windows has to spend more time processing
this information, you have to wait for the system to stabilize. Sounds
like a "crash" and 'blue screen" to me.

This is further aggravated by the fact that the "defragmentation tool in
Windows is incapable of defragmenting the swap file. On the other hand,
if you're using a utility such as "Norton System Works" or "Norton
Utilities", you know that "speed Disk" can and will defrag the swap
file. While this can help to some extent, it isn't the complete answer.
It is a known fact that Windows requires a swap file in order to work.
What's the solution? Say tuned, more will follow.

A permanent solution:
You may be able to avoid the problems associated with the "Dynamic
scheme". How? By using a "permanent swap file" instead. Why? Using a
permanent swap file will increase your overall system performance.
Besides, it's easy to do. Controversy? Yep, here we go. Now it's time to
get dicey.

Hard Disk:
You can specify the location of the swap file. In addition to this it
shows the amount of available space on the drive.

Normally, you can use the default setting and get by. If you have an
additional hard drive of equal or greater speed, you're in like Flint.
Remember him? LOL Frankly Frank's rule of thumb, place the swap file on
the drive with the fastest speed. If you have Norton Utilities or some
such thing, run the utility so it will place the swap file at the
beginning of the fastest drive. This way you will maximize the
performance of the swap file. If you only have one drive, place the swap
file at the beginning. Again, it will improve performance.

Minimum:
When it comes to setting the amount of hard drive space to devote to the
swap file we enter into another area where leaving Pandora's box closed
may me the safest way for some folks. I'm gutsy and will try for maximum
operability and efficiency. I mean after all, if you build systems for
clients, you have to anticipate what may run amuck. Then again, what may
run amuck may not and what… You understand I'm sure.

Everyone uses a different set of applications and or programs. Therefore
there are many options. Did I cover my? I think so. At this point, it is
difficult to say what might or will work for the general populace. What
may work for me may not work for you or vice versa. This article is
meant to present you with some options and suggestions that may work for
you. On this subject, I have my own opinion and rule of thumb that I
have been following since the days of Windows 3X. One set of
applications may require more of less swap file to function optimally.
Oh, oh here he goes. Frankly Frank is going to put his foot in his mouth
yet. Well, could be. The key, in my opinion is to try and find the
smallest swap file to allow the system to function optimally. Yep, he
said it.

What is the rule of thumb? Ah hem; on a system with 32MB of RAM, one
might want to set the minimum swap file to 80MB. On a system with 64MB
set it to 128MB and so on.

What is the rule of thumb?
If you have 8MB (shiver and or Cringe) to 32MB of RAM, use a multiplier
of 2.5, if your memory is between 32MB and 64MB use a multiplier of 2.
If you have 64MB or more, use 1. What does this mean? If your system has
8MB to 32MB, you would take that figure and multiply it by 2.5. 32MB of
RAM divided by 2.5 = 80. This means that I would se my swap file to a
minimum of 80MB and a minimum of 80. As you can see, this is a base or a
starting point. It can be adjusted up or down as needed. I have 128MB of
RAM. Norton System Works indicated that I needed to increase my value to
255MB. Do I have a bunch running in the background? Not that I know of.
I have suspended in one-way shape or form what I didn't need or want
running in the background as a TSR.

I have, 256MB of SDRAM. I set the minimum and maximum swap file to
255MB. I don't let Windows operate it. The only thing I have to remember
is, when I want to rip my drive apart and want some a semblance of
order, the first thing I will do is let Windows manage the swap file
back on the original drive. I run two drives and my file is on my backup
or "D" drive.

Maximum:
As stated in the paragraph above, setting the maximum is as dicey as
setting the minimum. There are those in either camp that will go toe to
toe with you on this subject. However, according to ZD Journals issue
they stated that, the debate centers on the fragmentation issue. This
side says you should not set the maximum so that as the need arises,
Windows can size the file as needed. However, the other side or the
debate team says that allowing Window to size the swap file means it
will become fragmented and performance will decrease. This side
recommends that setting the maximum to the same value as the minimum or
just a little more. Doing this will lock Windows in to a fixed size for
the file and if the need arises, it can't expand. Nor will it become
fragmented as is the case when one allows Windows to do the job on it's
own. The other side retorts by saying if you set the minimum at a decent
level, you won't have to worry because the swap file is unlikely to grow
beyond that value on a regular basis so growth and fragmentation is or
will be rare.

From the days of Windows 3X, I have learned to set the swap file to a
set size, place it at the front of the drive for easy access by Windows
and the system run. Today, I use Norton System Works with Norton
Utilities and the "Speed Disk" feature does a wonderful job of putting
the swap file in the front and keeping it from getting fragmented.

I realize that this post is lengthy but I feel that all concerned should
have the best explanation possible on the subject.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
NetTek Computers

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions