From:
Roberto Safora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 10:45:51 -0400
I found this and I thought it might be of interest.
(http://www.intel.com/newsgroups/processors/pen)

The term 'stepping' and the attributes of each stepping level
The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 step. Later, as
improvements are made to the product for functional fixes or manufacturing
improvements, Intel will release new steppings. Generally speaking, minor
changes result in an increased stepping number, (i.e. A-3 to A-4) while more
complex changes result in the letter being changed.(i.e. A-3 to B-0).

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html