From:
Len Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:53:35 +0100
I have two spare hard disk modules for my Dell portable
and I want to boot from a Win95 Startup disk and install
OSR2, NT or Linux from CD to an empty HD.

Problem is I can't get the drivers right to provide
PCMCIA SCSI support in dos so I can see the CD drive.

I don't have EZ-SCSI 4 to run the setup routine but I do have
the v4 drivers. The apa1460.html FAQ file at Adaptec suggests the aspi2dos
line shown below, but when I boot the aspi2dos ASPI manager announces
itself then hangs until I Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I tried to get the dos/Win3 drivers from Adaptec's CardWizard,
but the drivers are compressed so it's necessary to run Setup
- and that crashes under Win95 and my Win3 system doesn't have
a PCMCIA card slot for it to recognise. I _might_ be able to
lift the drivers from the Win3 system but I can't identify the
PCMCIA hardware in the Dell in order to choose the right driver.
(Mr S and his law are working overtime :-)

I have managed to install the Win95 CardWizard and that says the
SlimSCSI card is at IRQ 10, Port 340, implying
  devicehigh=ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /PCMCIA /Z /Q10 /P340
but modifying the aspi2dos line hasn't helped at all - it still hangs

Is there some card support component missing or misconfigured?

System is Dell Latitude XPi P133 32MB, 810MB HD clean formatted
PCMCIA slot 0: Adaptec 1460 SlimSCSI
External SCSI chain: 32x CD-ROM, 2GB HD, Zip Plus

config.sys is...
devicehigh=csmapper.sys
devicehigh=carddrv.exe /slot=1
devicehigh=ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /PCMCIA /Z
devicehigh=ASPICD.SYS /D:SCSICD
device=display.sys con=(ega,,1)
country=044,850,country.sys

(Alternative
devicehigh=ASPI2DOS.SYS /D /PCMCIA /Z /Q10 /P340
is no better.)

autoexec.bat contains the line...
LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:SCSICD /V /L:L
(but I never get that far)

Len Warner <[log in to unmask]> http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~len/ ICQ:10120933

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**