From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 21:58:21 -0500
> The information below IS correct.
>
> FAT 32 has very little to do with the computer's OPERATING system.  FAT 32
> is part of the file STORAGE system and works with the Disk Operating
> System.  (Despite what MS wants you to believe, DOS is still alive and
> well -- it's just been hidden way down deep inside Windows)
>
> Windows 95 and 95A did not include an FDISK program that had FAT32
> capabilities.  So they can not create a FAT32 drive, but these earlier
> versions of Windows will install and run just fine on a 32 bit drive
> created by some other software, such as Partition Magic (or even a drive
> formatted by Win95B's fdisk).
>
> In fact, the documentation for Partition Magic claims that it will even
> work with Windows 3.x,  NT 3.51 *AND* NT 4.0.

     I am sorry, but I believe you are confusing FAT 32 and 32 bit file
system. FAT 32 will NOT work on any win95 version earlier than B (or
OSR2.0). Win95 and 95a support FAT16B, FAT16 and FAT12, although it
automatically converts FAT16 drives to FAT16B drives if given the chance.
Yes, Win95 runs on DOS, but OSR2 and higher versions of Win95 include DOS
7.1, which supports FAT 32, DOS 7.0 does not. 32 bit file systems have been
around since win3.1. You can create a FAT32 partition on any system,
although only win95B and above will be able to make full use of it, I
believe Linux has SOME support, and WinNT also has some in the latest
release. Try it if you want, create a FAT32 partition on a Win95 or win95a
system and see if you can do anything with it, it will not work. TTYL

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html