From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:37:42 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/99 7:28:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have 2 Win98 peer to peer networked to a Win 3.1 machine.  I can
 access both Win 98 with the Win 3.1. However, I can not see it in either
 Win 98 Network Neighborhood. They are connected thru a hub.

Gerardo,

I had a similar situation.  I have a Win95a, Win95sr2 and Win98 peer-to-peer
through a hub.  On each machine, only that machine would show up in Network
Neighborhood although I could share files and printers.

However, an earlier discussion on this list talked about reserved IP
addresses.  (I was concerned that assigning an IP address would interfere
with internet access so I hadn't assigned individual IP addresses).

On each machine I went to Network Neighborhood properties, highlighted the
TCP/IP protocol for my NIC card and clicked on properties.  This opens
another properties window with several tabs (ie, bindings, DNS configuration,
Gateway, IP Address etc).  Click on the IP address tab.

I selected "Specify an IP address".  Then, according to the earlier
discussion, I assigned one of the reserved addresses in the IP address field,
for example: 192.168.1.2  and then in the subnet mask field put in
255.255.255.0

I incremented the last field in the IP address on each machine.  When I was
done assigning IP addresses to each machine, they were all visible under
Network Neighborhood.  And, the IP address assignment hasn't interfered with
my internet connections.

Now if I can only get rid of the message about "no domain name server
present" I'll be just fine.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: