Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 20:09:55 +1000
I may offer my experience on this problem.  There is a very good chance that
this is a driver related problem.  Almost all cases of this shut down
problem I've solved are ended up with update drivers, change PCI slot,
change IRQs.  Sometimes, a bad driver may not crash win98, but cause shut
down problems. change PCI slots around, and carefully assign/manage IRQs may
have good result.  I personaly never had any single win98 shut down problems
unsolved.  But I have to admit that I sometimes require format/reinstall
everything to solve the problems. and only a few times (when customers not
willing to believe the truth), I had to show customers that the PCs has no
problem to shut down (use our workshop HDD, and show them PCs do shut down
with our installation of win98).  I personaly found that MS shut down patch
dose very little to solve the problem.

eg. If you have a SB live card, and have shut down problem, there is a great
chance if you update driver, and make sure SB game port to share IRQ with
printer port, the problem will be gone.

I remember on a particular mobo, if you have sound card on PCI3 or 5, win98
won't shut down.

Also, sometimes, a BIOS flash is what needed.  I've seen utility/system
software to casue shut down problems too.

Jun Qian