From:
David Grossman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:13:45 +0200
Do you have more than one partition on your hard drive? If so, then you can
copy your Windows CD to a directory in a different partition; format your
hard drive C:, and then run the Setup program from the other partition.

However, that's the least of your problems when upgrading to a more recent
version of Windows.

Did you read the label on your new Windows package? Recent versions of
Windows will choke on a Pentium 350. You also didn't indicate how much
memory your computer has. Some of the old computers had 4-16 MB of memory.
It's not easy to find that kind of memory these days.

Can you picture Bill Gates rolling on the floor laughing while you struggle
to load Windows XP on a Windows 95 machine?

Now take a look at the software and drivers that you loaded up on your
Windows 95 machine. Are you aware that not all of them will work with
Windows XP? In some cases, you'll be able to get driver upgrades. In other
cases, you'll have to replace the software - or the device, such as the
scanner or the printer.

The bottom line: If your Windows 95 machine is working reasonably well now,
then I would recommend that you just leave it alone. If you want to run
Windows XP, then life may be much easier if you simply spring for a new
computer.

David Grossman