From:
Yui Shin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:52:31 -0700
--- Joe Craven <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hi, folks: A nearby AM radio station just increased its power
> dramatically and I now get the talk shows in my modem line and in my
> Altec powered speakers. The local phone company came out and put 3 RF
> suppressors in the outside phone box and when that didn't work they
> put a large magnetic suppressor in my phone line/modem jack. That
> stopped the talking on my phone line, but the radio shows keep coming
> out of my powered speakers, loud and claer. Whenever I get near the
> speakers, the volume increases. What to do? Any advice is
> appreciated.
>
> Joe Craven

Hi,
I had a CB radio that did the same thing by means of overmodulation
because the antennae was not properly tuned. In your case, it's
probally simple logistics of being near the station with a tuning
device (your pc & amp). Here's a few ideas for troubleshooting:

 If you have any metal near by or a metal case cover try temporarily
relocating them to eliminate possible ground planes.

 If your PC is not grounded at the wall outlet try running a ground
lead from the case to the outlet's faceplate screw.

 If your unshielded speaker wires are near any metal they may act as a
antennae using you as the ground plane when you near. Relocate speakers
to determine if "reception decreases".

 If your amp is unshielded it is the likely tuning source using its
leads as the antennae and the pc + your presence as the ground plane.

          If the problem only occurs with your speakers plugged into
the wall outlet or "faulty" strip I would suspect a bad nuetral line.

          If the problem only occurs with the phone line plugged into
your modem then remove the modem card and reverify.

          If the problem occurs after installing speakers on a
different device (i.e. stereo unit) then try shielding the amp and
reverify.

Good Luck
-yui

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions