From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 08:16:52 -0700
On 6 Sep 2005 at 18:26, R. Shane wrote:

> I have been using a Linksys Router BEFSR41 and needed additional ports.
> Instead of just buying a hub I opted to buy another router with wireless
> capability, a Linksys WRT54GS, but I am still in need of additional wired
> ports, as I went wireless just for my laptop.
>
> My question is, can I link the two routers together or do I still need a hub
> to get my additional hard wire ports. The wired router does have an uplink
> port. If it is posible, what configuration changes do I need to make to the
> routers. Right now the router name is different between the two but the IP
> address is the same (192.168.1.1). Do I disable DCHP on one of the routers
> and if so which one. Right now my ISP assigns a static IP so the router is
> configured that way. How do I configure the second router, either obtain IP
> automaticly or static IP?

  You will need a crossover cable to connect the two routers.

  To enable all of the ports on the new router to be used, you would connect
its "WAN" port to one of the "LAN" ports of the first router.  The problem
with doing that is that the second router will be trying to use the same
range of addresses on both its WAN and LAN sides, and that's a no-no.  SO
there is additional configuration needed to make this work.
  A simpler alternative is to plug the crossover into one of the LAN ports
of the new router, so its other LAN ports and wireless are "on the same side
of the router" as the LAN ports on the existing router -- don't use the new
router's WAN port at all.  All you have to do to make this work is turn off
DHCP on the new router, and assign the new router a new 192.168.1.x address
outside the range offered via DHCP from the first router.  (You may have to
increase or decrease the number of DHCP addresses offered by the first
router.)

> Also, do I end up with two differnet LANS unable to talk to each other being
> that the routers most likely need seperate IP addresses?

  It depends which way you connect them; I recommend tha approach that
doesn't have this effect.

David Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml