From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:57:35 -0700
I have only seen the term FAT16B while using Partition Magic and I belive
FAT16B is to distinguish FAT16 after the introduction FAT32.
FAT16B then is the FAT16 on a WIn95B or Win98 system.

How is the drive broken up now ? You have a 2 GB FAT 16 and then what.? BTW
2 GB FAT16 has a 64k cluster size and is an enormous waste of space. You
would be better off creating two FAT16 partitions C and D each FAT16
...each 1 GB. Leave 98 on C and put NT on D or any other drive ...although
NT will still boot from C as the system Disk.

Where are you trying to install NT4? The C drive ? You want it to share a
partition with Win98? You realize the NT will not be able to see the FAT32
drives unless you purchase a FAT32 driver ....this driver also has some
known issues and I consider it's use problematic. If you decide to use NT
on a NTFS file system make sure it is the LAST partition on your system
because it will NOT be seen at all by FAT16 which will effect your
partition lettering. FAT16 and NTFS will see FAT32 partition and while it
won't be able to access them it will keep your lettering intact.

>When I tried to install NT4 on my Celeron 450mhz system, it kept saying
>that my C:\ was not formatted or corrupt. I couldn't continue at that
>point. Did a  disk check, and no problems were found. C:\ is my primary
>partition (2GB, FAT16) with Win98SE on it. I suspect that the partition was
>created with PartitionMagic 4 (it's been a while) and somehow the FAT16
>created was different from regular FAT16 since it showed up as FAT16B in
>PartitionMagic. After searching the dejanews, I think I need to create a
>partition that does not support large drive. The drive is a 14GB IBM drive,
>how do I format it so it will just have the first partition as 2GB FAT16
>and the rest in 3 partitions that are FAT32 (each will be larger than 2GB).
>I kind of remember that I chose support for larger disk when I formatted
>it, and I suspect that caused the problem C:\ being not recognized by NT4...
>
>Any suggestions to make it work with NT4 with minimum effort (hopefully no
>reformat of the whole drive is needed)?
>Changhsu Liu

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html