From:
Phil Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:15:18 -0400
The system: AMD-K6 3DE-300, 64Meg RAm, TX3 MOBO. Win 98 SE (Self built and been running great for almost three years)

Problem: The computer does not recognize the existence of the CD Rom Drive on boot up.

Events leading up to the problem:  I tried shut down my computer as usual and it didn't get past the "Windows is Shutting down" screen. So I just hit the reset button after waiting an inordinate amount of time. When I turned the machine back on the CMOS had been reset to the beginiing default. I have recreated the CMOS but the CD is not recognized. Also,  when I now shut down the computer I no longer get the screen that says, "It is okay toshut down the computer, now." Everything else seems to be working okay.

So far: I have verified that the CD Rom is working. I installed it in another machine and it worked okay. I have replaced the cable.  I have reset the CMOS to all possible combinations.

AT this point I suspect the on-board IDE controller and am prepared to install a new one. But before I spend any money I am open to any other suggestions?
    Thanks, from a long time lurker,
        Phil

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com