From:
Sean Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 22:06:50 -0400
I have an old Pentium 233-MMX machine that has a bad habit of killing hard
drives.   Twice now hard drives that I have put in the machine have gone
bad.  The drives run fine at first, but after a couple of days of normal PC
operation, the drives start making a funny noise when I power the machine
on.  The noise is a kind of clanking sound at an interval of maybe three
times every two seconds.  The machine of course can't read the hard drive
and won't boot.   The first time this happened I thought I just had a bad
hard drive, but then I put a brand new drive in and after a few days it
started doing the same thing.  Both drives were Maxtors.  One was an older
2.3 GB drive, and one was a 6 GB drive.   When the PC did run, prior to the
drives going bad, it would run fine at first but would shortly start getting
a lot of invalid page faults.  Once the hard drives have started making this
sound, I have not tried to put them in another machine to test them, but
could do this if I absolutely need to.

Here's the specs on the machine:

Intel Pentium 233-MMX
96 MB RAM