Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 08:52:49 -0500
Hello Phillip,

One of the options for activating Windows XP is by telephone (via toll free
number). I think there is a third, other than activating online, but for the
life of me I can't remember what it is... Doing it online is easier by far
and it's quick, requiring only seconds online if you timed the connection
right.

To update Windows manually you can use your computer that is online to
download and burn the updates to CD. You'll need to use Windows Update,
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp, a little differently.

*On the side of the Windows Update screen, click "Personalize Windows
Update".
*Check "Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also".
*Click the "Save Settings" button.
*Click the "Windows Update Catalog" link.
*Click "Find Updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems".
*Select RTM (if never installed an update) or SP1 (if you have already
installed the service pack).
*Click "Search".
*Click "Add" to put the updates you want in your download basket.
*Click "Go to Download Basket".
*Select your Download Location.
*Click "Download Now".

At your convenience burn the updates to CD and install on any computer. This
is also nice to have should the need arise to reinstall Windows.

Sven Swanson, Sr.