From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 14:49:31 -0800
On 15 Sep 98 at 16:35, Brad wrote:

> How do I configure things so I can boot from this drive?  Is this
> not possible as long as I have the WD-Caviar drive installed?  I
> was unable to set any part of the SCSI drive as active, in fdisk,
> in order to boot to that drive and make it my main drive and the WD
> as a back up drive. Doesn't seem to matter what boot order I have
> set up in the BIOS.

  FDISK, like so many of MS's offerings, knows better than you do
what you want -- what you are allowed to want.  [Whatever one might
criticize about this as a design philosophy (and it must be, since
there are similar examples in DOS, GW-BASIC, MS Office, and so on),
one cannot deny that it has been pretty successful.]

  Anyway, the solution is to use some tool other than fdisk.  My
personal favourite in this area is Partition Magic, which can set
the "Active" flag on any primary partition.

> I want to install System Commander to be able to use LINUX and
> Win95 SR2, and DOS 6.22. Any recommendations on partition sizes
> would also be most appreciated. I asked this some time ago, but got
> no response.

  Version 3 of PM also includes a Boot Manager, which provides many
of the same kinds of features as System Commander.  [Hmmm.
Installing System Commander -- to the SCSI drive -- might be good
enough.  It's the SC partition that really needs to be active, and it
will then set the flags on bootable partitions as necessary.]

David G

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**