From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:14:57 -0600
At 02:03 PM 10/23/1999 , you wrote:
>I am going to build my first PC in the coming months and would appreciate any
>suggestions regarding the best desktop case to buy and what motherboard and chipsets I
>should be looking at.  I am thinking that I want a processor at about 400Mhz. Any
>suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have used most every brand of motherboard on the market at one
time or another.  My favorites due to easy of installation and the least
amount of issues with compatibility are ASUS, ABIT and TYAN.  Typically
the ABIT board is most reasonably priced.

Right now the BX chipset is probably your best bet for price vs. features
on the market.

As far as a case, my favorite has always been the Enlight case...  for the
money, a mid-tower case w/250watt powersupply should cost around $50,
and give you good service.  Now, with that said and considering you are
building a 400mhz system, I will assume you are attempting to save a few
coins in the process.  Do not be afraid to use the generics that are offered
on the market.  I often have used them with great success and they can
save you as much as half the price of an Enlight case.  Just be careful
as these cases often have sharp edges inside...  they are most often
built in China.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: