From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 20:53:48 -0500
At 20:19 11/07/03, Peter Shkabara wrote:
>I am looking for a utility that will allow me to easily turn my network
>connection on or off. I don't want a firewall, just something to turn off
>the network connection temporarily. So far, I have been unplugging the
>network cable, but that is not too convenient. In case anyone is
>wondering,
>the purpose for this to to be able to read a suspicious e-mail without
>having any web links activated (as in spam).

Hi Peter

If you install the Zone Alarm firewall, it comes with a one click
button that will "Lock" or "Unlock" your Internet connection.
It kills the Ethernet connection dead. (I'm still using Zone Alarm
2.6.something.)

Or you can right click on the network icon in your tray and choose
"disable". (Click "Enable" to get back online.) Disable kills your
network connection.

(I'm using Win2K Pro...and have the small connection Icon in my Tray
enabled. This is the same "two monitors" icon that Win9X used to show
for modem activity. It blinks during incoming or outgoing network
activity.)

Regards,
Bill

                     support at our newest website: