From:
Carl McGarry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:46:54 -0400
Hello Walter,

Friday, Friday, October 01, 1999, you wrote:

WM> I have installed the PCI nics in the AMD K6-400 (DFI MB, 64M ram, 4.3 HD,
WM> Win 98) and the Cyrix 200L (M-tech MB, 64M ram, 3.2 HD, Win 98)according to
WM> MF instructions and are detected and running. I have Cat 5 cable with female
WM> ends using 3 FT patch RJ11's into the PCs. I used the CAT B twisted pair
WM> wire config. not the crossover wire config. The other ends of the Cat 5 have
WM> patch RJ11's into a cheap 5 port hub.

WM> I have matching protocols in both machines TCP/IP, IPX, and NETBEUI. I have
WM> tried one at a time and combos of each. (I would prefer using TCP/IP because
WM> in the future I want to add 1 Cable Modem for both PCs.) I can see the
WM> individual PCs in Network Neighborhood but I cannot see the other networked
WM> PC on either.

It would be my guess that your hub, being described in your words as a
'cheap 5 port hub' does not have the built-in cross-over, and you are
using straight thru cables. I would recommend either reterminating the
cables as cross-over, or try a hub with the cross-over feature. Assuming that
all of the networking properties are identical on each machine
(Workgroup name etc) and all of the cables are ok, this should solve
your problem.

Best regards,
Carl W. McGarry