From:
"Karl D. Ficenc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 1999 12:56:01 -0400
Max:

One of the confounding factors on this FDD is that there is a "keyway"
cutout on both the top and bottom of the connector so I can install the
ribbon cable either way.  I did a fair amount of searching on the web this
morning, and it seems that pin 1 on a floppy is just for ground, so I'm
going to assume that's why pin 2 is identified on the PCB.  Even Mitsumi
doesn't show connector "polarity" on their spec sheet for this drive.  Many
photos of installed Mitsumi drives I found show the "red stripe" on the
cable to the left; so that's what I'll try.  And as Bob pointed out earlier,
it won't smoke anything if it's backwards; it just won't work and I'll have
to reverse it.  Thanks to those who responded.

Karl