From:
"L. Hooper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 00:12:41 -0500
Michael, I think that the ISA card solution is a waste of
money and the Y2K problem can be averted for free in most
cases. If I'm wrong, I hope this generates a lively debate
on this list because the time is ripe for discussing this.

There is an extensive article in the PC Magazine archives
on this;
http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/special/y2k/features/main/intro.html

And I like the part about waiting until after 1-1-00 and
reconfiguring the bios as explained here;
http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/special/y2k/features/main/correct.html

Of course these articles mainly address the bios problem. The
OS and all software will need their own y2k solutions. I'm
sure that the ISA card fixer will not fix old versions of
software, and many of the older programs can not be fixed without
upgrading to newer versions.
Here is where to start looking for
info on Microsoft y2k compatibility and upgrades;
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/year2k/
Read, study, repeat...
Larry Hooper

"Michael D. Sheridan" wrote:
> I notice a couple ISA slot cards available to bring
> computers into Y2K compliance.
> I am wondering if this is the best solution and
> what affect will this have on other operations
> of the computer.
> My concern is with Compaq computers as that
> is what I have.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html